The other day, I tried making an avocado-based pesto sauce to fill the pesto void in my vegan heart.
I peeled perfect avocados, measured lemon juice and almonds, peeled garlic, and the wonders were truly coming to fruition when I poured half a cup of dried basil leaves on top and sealed the container… but my mom always warns me that there needs to be a good amount of liquid, or the food processor won’t do its job right. I’m always insistent on testing those limits. Well, I put a tablespoon of lemon juice, and it didn’t mix. I thought adding olive oil early wouldn’t be bad.
I squeezed the top, and it didn’t budge. At all. I tried again. And again. And again. And like the 21-year old that I am, I went straight to Dad and asked him to open it for me. He tried. And tried. And tried. Nothing. I tried again, and then I ran hot water on it. No luck. My mom was out at the moment, so I left my wasted avocado concoction on the counter to rot for all I cared (I really cared). When my mom returned, I warned her of the mishap and begged her not to get mad. She just laughed and shared in my disappointment over two whole avocados going towards the failed cause.
The following day my mom took it to a hardware store, and they used some sort of bottle-opener machine on it… to conclude the tale of my avocado-pesto sauce: I threw that goop away. Just kidding! Thrill flooded through me as my creation reigned free; my mom told me that the employee who opened it said it smelled great.
The avocado browned a little, but I created a delicious pesto sauce nevertheless. Combined with months of craving and being so close when I nearly ruined my mom’s food processor made it better.
I ate six pieces of toast that day. And I’m eating a piece right now.
How is this a segway? In Jen’s post from October, where she kindly nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award, she wrote about having a craving for candies and cheesecakes. I thought I’d do a throwback. Also, I nearly broke my mom’s food processor for pesto sauce, come on, that’s tragicomedy.
Anyway, thank you for nominating me, Jen! Be sure to check out her blog; she’s wise and playful and kind, and her words will undoubtedly cast a spell – she’s a word wizard. 🙂
- Show the award on your blog.
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Answer the given questions.
- Nominate a blog(s) and give them questions to answer.
- Link your nominee(s) and let them know of your nomination.
1. Do you prefer to write in the morning or at night? Why?
I love mornings, but I tend to stay up late either writing, listening to music, or watching shows – I’ve been binging episodes of Steven Universe for the past couple nights… whenever I wake up early, it’s like I’m experiencing two days in one!
2. Do you prefer to write with music on or in silence? Why?
I write better in silence, because picking music distracts me, but I prefer to write with background noise. I love writing in public places with light chatter, such as my old JC’s cafeteria or library.
3. What would be the title of your own Memoir?
Banana King. Why? I’ll explain someday.
4. If your Memoir turned into a movie, name three actors who you would like to cast to play the big roles in your life.
I envision Banana King’s story as an anime series or film, so whoever has the best fitting voices gets the role! Or maybe I’d voice Banana King?
5. How do you handle your blog critiques?
To answer honestly, I’m scared of negative criticism. All my life, I’ve given a barrage of positive or negative feedback – no in between. *has flashback to an art-project I worked really hard on and got all negative comments* …..uhhh, so, yes, my readers have been super positive regarding the blog, which makes me both happy and inspired to keep writing and reading! Otherwise, I know I can improve on being concise and writing outside my comfort zone.
6. If there really is a muse for writing, how would yours look like?
I’ve always imagined my handwriting as a lanky, brown-haired boy with a klutz complex. I think he looks like a farm boy with goggles and has a couple beauty-marks too. As for my muse? Probably the opposite of my handwriting. Angelic, even?
7. If your teenage self would read all your blogs, what do you think she would write on your comment box? Do you think she would follow?
My teenage self would probably be too busy and infatuated with her awesome Gaia Online friends to be reading my blog, but she might connect to my dreams and depression posts. I think she’d like the goal posts too. Hah, sounds like a sports pun. But Little MJ was no athlete.
8. If you are a vending machine, what items except for food would you dispense and for what / how much credit?
STICKERS! Depending on the sheet size and quality, the cost would range from 50 cents to $3.00. That way I’d have financially obtainable stickers for kids with a couple of quarters and adults with the big bucks. Stickers for everyone!
9. What makes up a good morning?
Waking up after an awesome dream where your prince or princess crush confesses to you, and you live happily ever after, when suddenly you’re chosen to go on a new adventure and fight a tsunami of aliens and boom, crash, bang, so many explosions and cool stuff and—waking up feeling well rested is good too. Oh, and with cats on your bed! Also, wash your face. It’s glorious. Life-changing. I should have started years ago.
10. Last thing you do before sleep.
Write, listen to music, or binge on cartoons or scary stories… but the very last thing I do is take off my glasses and check to see how many of my trio cat gang are with me.
11. Who’s the biggest fan of your writing / blogging?
That’s a goooood question… I’d say my mom, but she doesn’t read my blog that often. Or ever? I’d joke about suppressing tears with a cough, but it’s probably good she doesn’t read it. My sad posts would freak her out – as a mom, she wants to fix everything, but most trials in life have to be conquered by the child. To help out, I try not to let her see me blue all the time… also because she’ll tell me to put my “big girl pants” on and get over it. The woman is too tough for me! 😦
I’ll start taking applications for “MJ’s Biggest Fan” now. Thank you, thank you.
And now for the nominees! ~clap clap clap~
Jessi @ cirque de la nuit
Gabriel @ A Little Me, Apparently
Victoria @ The Whimsical Chick
Gwendlyn @ Writing, random musings & general lifestuff
- What’s number 1 on your bucket list?
- What’s one of your guilty pleasures?
- How do you envision your handwriting if it were a person? Would you be friends?
- If you could bring someone back from the dead, who would you choose?
- What is your kryptonite?
- If you owned a restaurant, what would be the best selling dish?
- What is your favorite part about blogging?
- Do you have a crush on any fictional characters?
- What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received or heard?
- Which of your blog posts is your favorite?
There’s no pressure to accept, but who doesn’t love some recognition for their writing and impact on the blogging community (and world!)? I look forward to reading your posts! Happy 2017!